Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Victim Isn't The Only Victim

Since I started this blog I have referred to my father as the victim of a Jamaican lottery scam. While correct, this description is inadequate because my dad is in fact the primary victim of a crime with many casualties. Consider the other parties adversely affected by the scam:
  • My late mother. As with most marriages of their generation, there was no "his" and "her" money. It was all theirs and thus my dad's losses were my mom's as well. And I am sad to report that while she was in the early stages of the dementia that eventually took her life, my father - in a desperate act antithetical to his character - took advantage of her impairment and talked her into withdrawing cash from a joint bank account after he had been denied access, thoroughly convinced that all would be forgiven when he received his big prize.
  • My siblings. Because they also oppose the scam, like me they are now regarded as adversaries by my father.
  • Me. While I do not think of myself as a victim, like my siblings I will never have the same relationship with my dad that I did before. And though I don't see my father as a burden, I have been saddled with the administrative burden associated with being his conservator.
  • Potential beneficiaries. I cringe whenever I calculate the opportunity cost of my parents' losses. For instance, the funds could have put two grandchildren through college or helped other family members in times of need. Or been used to improve their aging home. Or donated to organizations dear to them. Instead, my dad's benevolence (intent to share his winnings, which he often mentioned) was exploited by a ring of conniving Caribbean scumbags.
  • Friends. The circle of financial losers extends beyond our family. My father borrowed money from several acquaintances and collectively owes them thousands of dollars that will never be paid back.
  • Creditors. Because most of my parents' liquid assets were lost in the scam, my dad is cash-poor and subsequently unable to pay off his credit cards, let alone make the minimum monthly installments. All have now been sent out for collection and some lenders have written off his outstanding balance as a bad debt.
  • Other senior citizens. As I noted earlier, my father has served as a money mule for the crooks, receiving payments from other victims and wiring the proceeds overseas. And on one occasion, as another "favor" to his island masters he willingly participated in a scheme to con a retiree in Texas.
So as you see, this post is not an exercise in semantics. It is unassailable proof that when it comes to Jamaican lottery scams, the victim is not the only victim.



6 comments:

  1. I can relate to every post and it is disheartening to recognize my own father's situation in the writings about your father. Sadly we do not have conservatorship over his estate and we have not be able to rally any help to prevent the criminals from continuing to exploit the situation- to the tune of over $500K. We're only into seven months of this situation and it feels hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your father and his staggering losses. While you do not currently have conservatorship I strongly recommend pursuing it if you have the means, because the only surefire way to stop this crime is, unfortunately, to stop the victim.

    Although the situation feels hopeless at the moment, please keep fighting not just for your father's sake but for the sake of others in his circle affected by this crime. I think you will find as I did, that if you keep fighting hope will eventually find you.

    Hang in there.
    SOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I know you are correct, it is a sadly cost prohibitive option made more complicated by the current "assessment" that our father is seen as "competent" in the eyes of the law (and from the results of a non-sensitive assessment by a doctor's office). That, plus living out of state, and a strained relationship, at best, makes these limited options (like pursing conservatorship/guardianship) not really options. Stopping the victim, who does not want to be stopped, is pretty tough. Thank you for your encouragement and I hope something positive, some day, will come out of all this chaos.

      Delete
  3. It is unfortunate that conservatorship is cost-prohibitive, I know that not everyone can afford it as we did thanks to help from my late mother.

    As for your father being seen as "competent" in the eyes of third parties, this is a challenge we faced as well. In our case it was mainly the Social Security Administration, who, despite the court's ruling decided he was still fit to receive his payments because he was high-functioning and seemed normal.

    Yes, it is indeed pretty tough - virtually impossible in fact - to stop victims who do not want to be stopped like our fathers. I do not know if any attorneys do conservatorships on a pro bono basis, but you might want to inquire with the Bar Association in the state where your dad lives.

    Also: If you haven't done so already I would reach out to the NCEA (National Center for Elder Abuse) and see if they can direct you to a local agency that may be able to help. At a minimum you will want to file a report with Adult Protective Services in the area where your father lives.

    Finally: Since you live out of state and your relationship with your dad is strained, is there someone locally whom he respects (e.g. a friend or clergyman) that might be able to talk to him? Though unlikely to change his mind at this point because he is in so deep, that is something you might also want to consider.

    You're most welcome for the encouragement and I hope that somehow you are able to stop the madness and keep your dad from losing everything to the Jamaican blood-suckers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello:
    I have filed 2 reports with APS--believe it or not, my father does not meet the criteria for a vulnerable adult. Hmmm. However, this week, I have been in contact by phone with the Florida State Attorney General's office and the FBI (!). Although to be honest, it is not promising that they will be able to help my father. And they didn't promise that the information I provided would help others, either. The FBI indicated that usually the scammers are so sophisticated in their use of the the internet for phone use and the use of other victims to launder money, that they can't be traced. The one MO of the initial fraudsters, contacting my dad through an untraceable phone brought to him under the guise of a late night pizza delivery to my father's home was a new one to them. They hadn't heard of that one before.

    I believe the fraudsters have isolated my father so much that he doesn't have anyone there that he could trust or count on in the small town he lives in. It's very sad. I'm sure he is depressed and lonely, but he has been so secretive for months now, that he's pushed away people that he previously used to see and talk to.

    When I spoke to the FBI and even to the bank today, they suggested that it's likely our father will go bankrupt. Sad to say, he spent a good portion of his life addicted to his job and working to save money that he then "gave away" to criminals. He missed on out being able to use all the money he saved to either do something for himself, or those he cared about, or even donating money to a worthy cause. These criminals convinced him to give his money to them--and it's probably funding drug and terrorist activity. Sad Sad Sad.

    I haven't heard of NCEA. I may try to reach out to them, but I'm thinking I already reached out the the state agency associated with them when this first started happening.

    As an aside, do you know if checks written in the amounts of $20 and $30 made out to ASP, IDD, ANC, NVSR, PWF, FELD, ISM, ASA, and ICS are "companies" that deal with lottery fees? He must have written $100-200/month to these folks before the Jamaican and other "blood-suckers" got a hold of him for the big bucks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the best of my knowledge my father never wrote any checks to these payees. That said, it is likely he sent cash to some of them.

    It is safe to say that these enterprises are fronts for the crooks or entities that compile and sell "sucker lists" to them. In Sales lingo the payers are "qualified leads," individuals who - by virtue of sending a check - have identified themselves as prime candidates for bigger scams. It is thus no coincidence that members of rival gangs sometimes kill each other to get the names of fresh prospects.

    One so-called company on this list stands out, ISM. They are infamous and if you search by their full name (International Securities Management) you will see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete